Hi, everyone! I have received many questions about how bloggers make money, especially when it comes to niche blogging, so I decided to create a series called “Blogging 102”, to answer these questions. I am looking forward to sharing with you the tips and tricks I have collected over the last 5 years of blogging – yup, it has been 5 years now, wow!
Blogging 102 posts will come live every Friday!
Let’s get started with Book Blogging, shall we?
Book blogging can be a lot of fun for people who love to read and write. I am one of those people who can not imagine my life without having books accessible to me. But is it possible to turn your hobby, and the love for words into a business? It is!Want to know how book bloggers make money? Then read this! #amreading #books #blogging Click To Tweet
Where to get the books from?
While you can always buy books yourself, and as my ever growing collection of digital and physical books shows, I do
this quite often. However, when reviewing books on a regular basis, this can get rather expensive. Therefore utilizing
the power of the internet, and the need for Authors to receive reviews, it is possible to get your supply of books filled
without spending a dime.
Netgalley is my favorite place to find great books to review. This platform connects publishers and Authors with professional readers, who in return for receiving books, leave reviews on the site itself, and on their blogs. All books are received digitally, either via a download or directly to your Kindle. There are some books that you can read right away, others need to have the publisher give you the green light. You will then receive a notification and can download the book.
While not completely free, (it costs 9.99 a month for this Amazon service), you can read an unlimited amount of books that are offered through the program. Not all Kindle books are, but there are quite a few high-profile Authors who choose to list their books on Kindle Unlimited, for which they will receive pay per read. You can “borrow” up to 10 books at a time, which is plenty, and review these books.
Directly from Authors
Authors are always looking for reviews for their books, and you can receive them directly from the creator via two ways.
1. Ask the Author directly. Send them a message and ask them directly to review their book for them. Many will be happy to give you a copy of their book. This is a great way to establish a relationship with Authors and gain a reputation as a person to go to.
2. Authors contact you. After reviewing a few books for a variety of Authors, many times, you will find yourself contacted by them directly. Reliable book bloggers are not as easy to come by, as many might think, so you can position yourself well, by creating high-quality reviews.
3. Facebook groups.
This is not my favorite way of receiving books because you have to wade through a ton of books who are poor quality, and some even plain awful, and unprofessional. You can get lucky but try the other options first.
How To Monetize Your Book Blog
1. Affiliate links (Amazon and otherwise). If you become a member of the Amazon Affiliate program (they are called Associates), you can use an affiliate link within your reviews. Many people reading a book blog, are ready to purchase something to read right away, and you can take advantage of that fact by linking them directly to the books listing. How cool is that! Of course, there are other companies and publishers besides Amazon you can utilize. Target, Walmart, Barnes and Nobels, Dover Publishing are just a few sites, that you can use for your book links.
2. Highlight the benefits of the Kindle Unlimited program. Another Amazon Affiliate perk is that you can make money each time someone signs up for Kindle Unlimited if they are using your blog link. It is a great program that is easy to promote, which means cash flow!
3. Google Adsense. Adding Google Adsense to your blog is probably the first thing that most people think off when they consider making money off blogging in general. While this is not exactly the most lucrative way of making cash, it is one you should consider. However, I personally do not use Google Adsense in any of my blogs, no matter what niche, because it is simply a less attractive option than other ways of monetization.
4. Youtube videos. Connecting a youtube vlog to your actual written blog strategy, however will give you another way of utilizing the power of Google Adsense. In that case, that option is much less intrusive, and it is how a lot of YouTubers make money. Also, adding videos to your blog posts, makes them more likely to be shared, and gives you additional exposure. Do not overlook the power of youtube videos, even for book blogging!
5. Sponsorships. Larger book bloggers, and those who participate in Influencer Networks (more on that in another post), will sometimes be contacted by companies, publishers and editors to review a product or book for payment. This can range from a few dollars to a more lucrative pay, but largely depends on the size of your blog following as well as your social media presence. If you are a small blogger, you can expect to get less sponsored posts, but that also depends on your book niche. Which brings me to my next point:
Choose a narrow book niche!
In order to monetize your book blog more effectively and increase your chances of finding targeted sponsors, you should narrow your book blog down to a specific sub-niche. Examples of that would be “young adult”, “contemporary romance”, ‘crime books”, or “cookbooks”, “health and fitness books”, and so forth.
You can also utilize the power of book blogging by combining it with a broader subject blog, which is what I do for 3 of my current blogs. You will see me highlight business books here on this site, healthy living books on my site Happy Health And Herbs, and budgeting, organization and productivity books on my site “Save Money, Save Time, Succeed!”.
If this info got you interested in starting a book blog but you have no idea where to start, check out the Wealthy Affiliate training program, which includes free WordPress hosting for your blog. You will learn how to set up your blog, how to choose your niche, anything you need to know about making money via affiliate marketing, as well as social media marketing and more. Sign up for free today!